Therapists at Oasis-Talk can help with both past and recent traumas. Trauma has a huge impact on our whole system and is very disturbing. You may not be able to understand or control your response to the trauma. Sometimes there is grief and bereavement associated with the trauma. Trauma counselling helps you understand what is happening to you, and to recover from the trauma, whether it is the result of a road traffic accident, witnessing someone else being hurt, abuse, a birth trauma or an other shocking, unwanted experience
What is trauma counselling?
Oasis-Talk offers different types of trauma counselling:
- Person centred counselling for those who want to understand and process what has happened
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for those with considerable anxiety after the trauma and who are best suited to a cognitive approach.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) for those who do not want to talk about their trauma. EMDR can help resolve symptoms resulting from disturbing experiences. EMDR taps into the brain’s information processing system to relieve the distress caused by a disturbing event. It is a proven way of helping people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The best way to find out which of these approaches is most suitable to you and your current challenges is to book a private therapeutic assessment with us. You can book an appointment by calling us on 01179 277577 or fill out our contact form.
What you can expect
You can expect to attend 6- 24 sessions depending on the severity and the number of traumas. If the traumas occurred in childhood you may need up to 48 sessions. Working with trauma, it can often work best to do a piece of work, and take a break to consolidate it before doing more work, especially if there are multiple traumas.
At Oasis-Talk we can help with:
- Abuse trauma
- Road traffic accident trauma
- Birth trauma
- War trauma
- Sudden bereavement trauma
- Rape trauma
- Witnessing a murder or accident or death
- Relationship trauma
- Historical trauma